Macrame and raffia are again the summer trend materials this year. They bring the feeling and the look of summer into your own four walls. Or who doesn’t inevitably have to think of summer when they smell basket and bast? Macrame is also making a comeback when it comes to decoration. The homemade macramees are perfect as a gift idea, wedding decoration or at home. It is even nicer when the wall decoration is also homemade, like the DIY macrame pen. And the way to the beautiful decoration is also so relaxing, because the monotonous knotting and combing are almost like yoga. Just like on vacation. With these simple macrame instructions, knotting is as easy as a feather 🙂
Step by step to the trendy DIY macrame pen
Required material for the macrame instructions:
- thick, twisted cotton thread
And this is how it is done:
- Cut a piece of yarn about 30cm. Then split the yarn into its 3 “individual parts”, that is, twist the yarn up. Then fold the 30 cm long thread in the middle and lay it upright with both ends facing down.
- For the feathers, cut a total of 4 pieces of thread approx. 10cm. Twist these up too, so that you get 12 individual parts. Fold each of these in the middle.
- Now place a short loop horizontally under the long vertical loop. Then place a second short loop exactly mirror-inverted on it. Now thread the ends through the loop and tighten. tip: This knot is called a square knot. Repeat the step 11 times.
- Then separate the ends of the yarn and comb with a fine comb until you have a fluffy, smooth surface.
- Finally, use a good pair of fabric scissors to shape the feather. If you want, you can draw a rough shape on cardboard beforehand and use this as a template. tip: if the pen is hanging on the wall, you can use the scissors to give it the finishing touches.
DIY summer wall decoration from placemats
The rest of the wall can also be designed in a summery look to match the DIY macrame pen. Simply hang placemats made of raffia or wicker in ethnic style on the wall with small nails. It looks particularly nice when you combine several placemats and hang them a little on top of each other. Different colors also bring a certain dynamic to the summer wall decoration.
The nice thing about it is that you can use the decoration again for the table decoration, should you decide on a new wall decoration. So practical and beautiful at the same time 🙂
I wish you all a lot of fun with the tinkering. Your Mona
The post Feather-light DIY: macrame feathers & summer decorations
making your own placemats appeared first on Schön with you by DEPOT.