A few months ago I challenged myself to make five upcycles in one day. It was chaotic but I love how they all turned out, especially this woven raffia wrapped jug.
The jug was purchased for a few dollars from my local Vinnies op shop, and the #trashtoterracotta paint and raffia are both affordable to make and source. A few dollars for a stylish new piece of decor – perfect!
- A jug. This one was purchased from my local thrift store
- Water based paint and baking powder to make trash to terracotta paint
- Hot glue gun or super glue
- Make the Trash To Terracotta paint. Read this blog post on how to make this paint.
- Cut a length of raffia and twist around the handle. Start at the top and secure with a glue gun. Then work to the bottom, gluing as required.
- Measure a 30cm length of raffia (or a size that will fit around your jug). This will be the top piece of raffia which all other pieces will be attached too.
- Measure 6 x 30cm lengths of raffia and fold each in half.
- Evenly spaced apart, knot the raffia over the top piece so that the two tassles are hanging.
- Taking the left hanging piece from one knot, and the right hanging piece of another, tie a knot. Ensure this is even length all the way around. Tie off.
- Keep making this pattern until you reach the bottom. Secure underneath, trim and glue for extra reinforcement.
The post Make this Woven Raffia Wrapped Jug appeared first on Collective Gen.